Characteristics Included in the ELP:
We plan to include the following data and item characteristics for each of the 40,481 words and 40,481 nonwords used in the study:
- Mean lexical decision latency for each word across 34 participants.
- Mean lexical decision time standardized (z-score) on each participants overall reaction time.
- Standard deviation of the mean lexical decision.
- Mean lexical decision accuracy across 34 participants.
- Mean Speeded naming time across 25 participants
- Mean Speeded naming time standardized (z-score) on each participants overall reaction time.
- Standard deviation of the mean speeded naming time.
- Mean speeded naming accuracy across 25 participants.
- General Characteristics such as length, frequency, and syntactic code.
- *Orthographic Neighborhood characteristics including number of neighbors, number of higher and lower frequency neighbors, and relative frequency.
- *Bigram frequency information including total bigram count, average bigram count, and sum bigram count by position.
- Phonological characteristics such as pronunciation, number of phonemes, and hyphenation.
- Morphological characteristics such as morphological parsing, and number of morphemes.
- Part of Speech, words classified as nouns, verbs, adverbs, etc..
* These calculations can be genreated based on either the restricted 40,000 word lexicon used in the ELP experiment or from a larger 80,000 word lexicon dereived from the H.A.L. norms.
Queries are typically used to:
- Generate lists of words or nonwords with specific characteristics.
see Generation Sample Query
- Submit lists of words or nonwords (any text file) to generate word characteristics and behavioral indexes such as lexical decision and / or naming performance.
- Access individual participant data.
Help for the SAMPA data can be obtained through the following link:
Please submit your questions to the ELP Project Administrator